Progress report on 63 restoration/ reassembly.

Dundee

17 hours ago, Dundee said:

I expect the engine colour and dash colour is somewhat distant from the original

Engine colour appears fine for 1963 (rare, Riviera only, 1- year only, desirable, top dollar on the auction block). Colour alone will make it a 6-Figure car similar to  GS emblems on a '65 LOL😤

22 hours ago, telriv said:

You need six of the sealing washers.

I have the PROPER ones in stock @ $1.00 each + shipping.

I will need an exact address to get a shipping quote.

Tom T.

Tom thank you for your offer we have gone with o rings for temporary solution not ideal so would love to keep your offer on the table. There are quite a few things we are finding and I will elaborate on these later tonight in this thread. 

Just a reminder of where this all began!!

I Found this 63 2 years ago in the hands of an owner who had been undergoing a restoration for 30 years and never drove the car and probably had done nothing toward its progress for the last 10-15 years. After my first 3 months of cleaning and sifting through everything that was dismantled and in boxes of parts mixed with other car parts. Engine believed to be rebuilt was half a job and trans similar, no exhaust, now discovering things like new brake master is incorrect as designed for front discs and all bolts and fixings a shit fight so just went to the bolt guy and best $59 ever spent, missing door trims, missing chrome, more missing parts and still today finding issues …

Then in the extras department fitting a/c, dealing with a RH conversion that was less than tasteful at the time and all the time dealing with parts that are rarely in this country and after market stuff that is incorrect…

I have to say In hindsight what was I thinking? Could have been driving some other classic by now but the look of that car and the fact it was something different attracted me. Naturally I went in hoping for the best and as much as possible expecting the worst and now I guess I am at some kind of mental half way point mostly due to cash supply not aligning with preferred time frame to complete the project. Add to that an assembly location 1000 miles from home because I wanted to have help I could trust but otherwise not allowing me to do a lot more myself.

After 7 days in this round and looking at where we started and what involved dismantling and heading backwards for the first 2 days it doesn’t look like we have come that far and it is a reminder of what a car project involves. 
A tidy up tomorrow and plan for moving forward along with constant additions appearing on our never ending parts list, again which I will post once back home.

Thanks for listening…

• Like 3

On 5/5/2024 at 5:47 AM, Dundee said:

I have to say In hindsight what was I thinking?

All I can say is: "I hear ya" (thanks for listening . . . .)

Thoughts encountered on my '63 Riviera project:

- I like satisfaction that DIY offers but too slow. OCD diagnosis?

- Local expertise? Farm it out!

- What, re-repair again?

- What was I thinking?

-Enough, I need a 5-man crew!

- Wife not happy. If only she saw statements of my OTHER credit card (meant for US vacations only)

- Who quoted "Work Smarter not Harder"?

Further, while project is not in a state to run,  drive, sell and funds tied-up, I've encountered not one but two killer deals of low mileage original owner convertibles. Had to pass on those.

Now a real running and driving Riviera, thoughts of selling on several occasions. More thoughts: "after 43 years, sell now?" "All that grieve and hard work!" "No reserve auctions scare me".

I thought of different strategies and logistics. Only solution without taking a loss is to soldier-on. Satisfaction, enjoyment and being approached by people saying "What a beautiful car!" will come. I have two Corvette stories where my Riviera won hands-down as a people magnet.

For me, goal always was 90% completion. Once there, I'd be as happy as a pig in $hit tweaking that final 10%. But getting to 90% was brutal. This is not my 1st Rodeo but, it has been 35 years since the last one.

Thanks for sharing.

5 hours ago, XframeFX said:

All I can say is: "I hear ya" (thanks for listening . . . .)

"No reserve auctions scare me"

Me too but couldn’t be bothered shopping for another unknown quantity unless I had J Leno’s budget..

Seeing this car inside out and coming back together is rewarding and I think beneficial for me and my son should he manage to keep it into the future. 

Once there, I'd be as happy as a pig in $hit tweaking that final 10%. But getting to 90% was brutal. 

Tinkering with 10% is totally fine by me as I said if I were closer to the car could do more.

Also now having come to terms with non original I can be comfortable throwing other suitable local new parts into

it without feeling bad.

Comments above x frame and good to know I am not alone…

You're not alone.  Those of us that build our cars all have these times in every project.  They are never as good as what you think when buying it - that's ok - just how it is.  Sounds like you're a good planner and making great progress.  It will be a top car when finished.  You will love driving it once done, so much better than same era Chev; and way better to drive than my HG Monaro.

Be prepared for the 'you ruined it' re: right hand drive conversion from the old car newbies out here.  😂  I get that comment a bit with mine.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your comments..

Well after wizzing around like a blue assed fly working around the car I realised I left there in such a rush I didn’t take photos of where we left off.

After licking my wounds and paying the shop bill today, I think it would be fair to say we’re about stage 2 of 4 having dealt with some major components. Stage 3 the plan is to get the car running and Mobile so brakes brake lines drive shaft, check diff, exhaust and few more engine modifications including finishing off the AC with compressor and sliders for the vent controls. The seats went to the upholsterer to be stripped and come back to the factory to be repaired, Sandblasted, painted and then fit new seat buns and upholstery in silver vinyl from Clark’s.

stage 3 feels like the biggest part, but sure stage 4 will include all the fiddly bits, trims etc.

I have no doubt there will be lots more discoveries in between and look forward to sharing more as it progresses.

ciao for now!

PS Bill I used the new instrument dials though it did bump the mileage up 20k

😂

IMG_7894.jpeg

IMG_7892.jpeg

• Like 3