1931 Chrysler CM6 Update

Well. It looks like Spring is trying to arrive and drive-in movie nights and long country drives exploring the rural back roads are on the horizon.

Since getting her back in December, I’ve put almost 700 miles on her. Most were trouble free, to be honest.

I had an issue with the fuel sending unit, which seems resolved by a good cleaning. So, I now know how much gas I have - which is important! One of the rivets on the parking band brake let go, which was a frustrating noise to chase down and solve. I’ve had to tighten the packing on the water pump once. The last thing remaining is a slight intermittent belt squeak. I guess after 30 years, she needs a new one. That will be this weekend.

I wanted to give an update because I noticed something today as I was letting her warm up before I left work while chatting with a good friend. The more she’s driven, the better she is. I know. I know. I read that months ago on this forum. Use your car! I’m surprised at how true it is.

It really is shocking how easy she starts on the 6 volt system. How nicely she runs on the mechanical fuel pump. How comfortable the bias ply tires are. No, she’s never gonna be a speed demon. Keep her well within her limits and she’s a joy. Easy. Predictable. Stable. 

If you look at my history, you know it was a long and expensive road to get here. That said, it’s well worth it. The more she sees the world - even a trip over to the next town for ice cream on a Thursday night - the happier she is. 

I encourage everyone to drive your car. What you read is true! The more you drive is the more problems you solve which is the more you learn and equals the better they run (kinda like an old school word problem!). Plus, as an added bonus, you make friends. Kids are fascinated. Adults want to chat. You can’t stop anywhere without someone striking up a conversation.

In today’s world, an old car brings so much joy to so many people by just getting out on a warm afternoon. 

This is just my two cents. Take it for what it’s worth. I’ve noticed the more I’m out and about, going here and there, the better she runs and drives. 

• Like 2

Very nicely written. The early thirties Chrysler cars are a pleasure to drive. I have eight cylinder cars but the sixes are wonderful also. They handle and drive so smooth. Post some photos of your car out and about, and enjoy it all you can. Are you in the WPC Club? The Illinois Region is a great bunch of people.

Greg Biskey

Posted (edited)

I should post more photos. It typically doesn't occur to me. That said, I grabbed a quick shot in the parking lot this morning. Fair warning, I am no photographer!

I'll have to look into the WPC Club. I think they're in Chicagoland, which can be a bit of a haul from nowhere, close to nothing, rural Illinois.

IMG_3313.jpg

Edited by EThomas (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I had my CM6 on the Nickel Tour in Utah last October. We did about 600 miles with lots of tough hills. The car did fine except for some vapor locking in the 85F heat. We had a great time

Ken

20230929_104051.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, EThomas said:

I should post more photos. It typically doesn't occur to me. That said, I grabbed a quick shot in the parking lot this morning. Fair warning, I am no photographer!

I'll have to look into the WPC Club. I think they're in Chicagoland, which can be a bit of a haul from nowhere, close to nothing, rural Illinois.

IMG_3313.jpg

Very beautiful car. I love four doors and green is a great color on that car. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KLF said:

I had my CM6 on the Nickel Tour in Utah last October. We did about 600 miles with lots of tough hills. The car did fine except for some vapor locking in the 85F heat. We had a great time

Ken

20230929_104051.jpg

Man! She is a real beauty. I love that color! Congrats on such a nice car.

7 hours ago, 24Chry48 said:

Very beautiful car. I love four doors and green is a great color on that car. 

Thank you. I feel lucky to be the current caretaker.