radiator capacity 54nyer vs 54 windsor

i know the system capacity for these models, what i need to know is the capacity of the radiators alone. i want to increase the cooling system capacity and i think the nyer rad will have a higher capacity.of course, the inlet/outlet needs to match also.   thanks,  dennis   

Not sure if this will help you or not. This shows the 2 types of radiators, Windsor is 2 1/2" Cellular, New yorker is 3" fin and tube. Also, the New Yorker has a ring style fan shroud, the Windsor does not have a shroud. Possibly adding a shroud would help you. My New Yorker is fine while driving normally but at extended low speed (parade type driving) or at idle for 10 or 15 min the temp gauge climbs rapidly. I also know that a good amount of air does not pass thru the radiator at low speed as the underside of the hood gets a large selection of bugs in a pattern just above the fan, they are getting sucked in from under the car and not passing thru the radiator or grill.

Scan 1.jpg

2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tom, thanks for the reply. my car has the same cooling issue at low/in traffic speeds. i have a shroud, just not installed yet. i added a 6 blade fan. my rad. has been recored and is fin and tube, 3 tube. interesting fact about the air passing over the rad. and leaving the bug pattern on the hood. i wanted to know if the new yorker rad. is a    higher capacity than the windsor rad. the entire system is more capacity, but what is the difference between the capacity of the new yorker rad. and the windsor rad. the rad to blade clearance could be an issue as my windsor has very little clearance, 3/4 inch according to the chart. inlet/outlet location and size could be different. i guess i need to hold up a nyer rad to my windsor and take it from there.     dennis

One other thing; There is supposed to be a flap style rubber seal between the core support and underside of the hood. Sealing that would force the air to flow thru rather than over the top of the radiator. My car does not have that seal but the wire staples used to hold it there are still there. I never replaced that seal as I really do not use the car at low speed for any length of time so I left it as it was.