State/City Laws Requiring Car Entrance from Curbside

I once read that - for part of the early twentieth century - a number of states/cities made it illegal to enter the car from the driver' side. Unfortunately, I don't recall the source. It seems plausible, as many cars had their door locks on the passenger side, even into the late 'twenties.

Included is a picture of a 1928 Packard that has the door lock on the passenger's side (picture from web). Note that an already tight entrance from the driver's side would be exacerbated if the parking brake had been properly set. Gearshiftcopy.png.553e6ac53d74e4b6f45b7ebfd4fdf317.pngEntrance/exit would be facilitated from the passenger side by placing the gearshift in either reverse or second gear.

My questions: If true when and where were there such laws? How long did they last?

Phil

I can't really answer your question. It was a default for the older generations. My mother defaulted to that. I am not sure if it was law. It probably was somewhere. Prewar cars usually have an outside lock on the passenger door, and some a lot later. My 36 Pontiac's lock is on the passenger door, and my 66 Chevy truck's lock was too until I changed it.

In the 20s you might still have wanted to exit at the sidewalk to avoid stepping in horse poo.

• Like 2