'39 upholstery help

hi all,

I finally bought a sewing machine and started my seat upholstery.  I started on the back seats as they had the most original material left that I could use as patterns.  They turned out great for a beginner.  On to the front seats.... I got the front seat bottom and the " seat wooden frame" covered and they look great too.  However, I am having some issues on the front seat back spring portion.  This is the spring section that supports the driver's back.   I had little or no useful original material left and had to go on my own with it.  It appears this spring section was covered with material by hog rings on the two sides and the bottom.  Looks like you have to leave enough material on the top to stretch over the wooden seat frame and fasten it to the back side of the wooden frame.  This spring portion has a couple of tabs on the bottom of its frame that inserts at the bottom into slots or pockets (in the wooden frame) to hold the bottom of the spring frame in place.  (keeps the bottom of the assembly against the wood frame as well as prevents it from going down any farther)

My question is...what holds the top of the spring in place....I am sure folding the upholstery over the wood frame keeps the springs from separating from the wooden seat frame.  However, if you pull the top upholstery material (to tighten the upholstery) up and over the wood frame, you lift the spring frame out of its lower pockets.  It appears the top of the spring frame needs to be anchored prior to stretching the material over the wood seat frame.  Does this make sense?   Any tricks I might be missing on the front seat to get the upholstery tight?       

If the spring assembly has a solid board or an edgewire around  the back, then a piece of looped leather or fabric is used to secure spring assembly in place at the top.

Unusual, because there’s usually a more secure fastening for backrest spring assembly.

Since you mentioned it, there were 3 sets of tacks nailed into the wood about where the top spring wire went...(one set in the middle and the other two near the outer edges).  Very little fabric remained under the tack heads.  These may have been the hold down loops you mentioned.  It is more obvious to me now the seat springs would need these loops in place, before the top "flap" is pulled tight and wrapped over and nailed down on the rear.   

I got this pic off of the internet....its not mine but it shows how the seat should look.  That corner where the white trim is tucked under looks tricky.  That trim is vinyl wire on welt.  The tacks on mine holding it in place appear to stop where the curve starts.  Any secret to keep the ends from pulling out of place?   

Untitled.jpg.b91eda4e9507bc8e29f25375310d8a74.jpg 

• Like 1