1957 Cadillac Interior and Engine Compartment Paint

zzzdogman

Good Afternoon All

Currently laid up for a month or more (elbow surgery) so thought I would take care of some of the less "weighty" items that only require one good arm on my road back to perfection.

Situation:  1957 Cadillac Type 62, black exterior (Paint placard still in engine compartment) with a cream colored lower half of the dashboard on the interior that has several small scratches.  Would like to touch these up and while I have found some old paint cards for the year, there are several colors too close to determine which one I have.  

My first question:  Is there anything ON the vehicle that specifies the color used?  Or am I relegated to trial/error till I get the exact match?

Second question:  Would like to spiff up the engine compartment.  Does anybody know what the original specs for the compartment paint(s)were for things like the air filter housing, battery tray, etc?  (Will probably NOT touch the blue valve covers.)

Any info will be surely appreciated, thanks.

---zzzdogman

1957 Cad T62 Driver.jpg

1957 Cad T62 Front.jpg

1957 Cad T62 Pax.jpg

1957 Cad T62 Rear.jpg

If your glove box door has both colors on it, you could take it off and go to a paint store and have the colors matched by them. 

As for under the hood, maybe the Cadillac Club has a concours judging sheet that indicates what color various components in the engine compartment are painted. Looks like a nice car!

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

21 hours ago, 1957Birdman said:

As for under the hood, maybe the Cadillac Club has a concours judging sheet that indicates what color various components in the engine compartment are painted.

Exactly.  The Cadillac-LaSalle club sells judging manuals for specific years and models.  Whatever people think the factory finishes and colors were these books describe what the experts have decided are correct.  They are the judging standards and what you should use as your guide.