17 Studebaker oil filler

20240127_032406.jpg.ac6f40444c33fb53f4997b472b6012f2.jpgHello

Just wondering how this was sealed up for dust when it was new. The 2 ta s on the elbow dont allow me to put a gasket or ring on the lid very well. Curious to see what others have done...

The cap also provides crankcase ventilation ( as you may know ) and this design on your SF? may be an improvement to give more ventilation than was provided on the SD design. ( photo of mine attached ) The vent holes were quite small on the old design and may have clogged up easily on the dusty roads back in the day. However, anything that would filter out dust would inhibit air flow. For larger debris there should be a mesh strainer inserted in the filler pipe. ( SD Part no. 20188 )  

Oil Filler.JPG

Through the small holes in my cap and through the larger v-shaped gaps in the underside of your cap ( looks like an inverted Jughead's hat ). If the crankcase is pressurized by blow-by past the piston rings, the oil gets contaminated by the products of combustion and can also push oil out the rear main bearing seal. 

Mine goes into the filler tube. It's the original one in brass mesh. I've used a stainless steel kitchen strainer to make one for the radiator neck ( which was missing ). Mine is cup-shaped so flat on the bottom and simply crimp and bend up the sides for a tight fit in the filler tube. Parts book photo of yours looks the same. You could make a nicer job soldering and brazing it into a cup shape but carefully folding up the sides will work. Restoration Supply sells various "brass screen" . # 100 is for fuel filters so perhaps # 80 or # 50 for oil. You could always remove it when you pour in the oil if it's too fine but you might need to check it once in while to make sure it isn't clogged with dust. 

SF.jpg

Edited by 15sd
change (see edit history)

Cool I can build that thank you! Im looking for some brass mesh for the oil pickup in the pan too. My oil filler has a brass mesh right where the filler gasket is bolted to the crank case as well.