HELP, LOOKING FOR A BUICK GURU

batman65

I recently aquired a 65 wildcat cusom convertible, believe to be all original. The car is loaded. Need help running the numbers and option codes to be sure. Where exactly can I find the engine code on the block? Believe this is a 430, I have the chrome Wildcat 465 air cleaner.

The engine code should be stamped on the block in the area just forward of the valley pan. clean this area up, on the Passenger side there should be letters stamped LW for the Wildcat 465(L = 65, W = 425 ci single 4bbl). The last digits of the numbers are serial numbers and should match up with the vin inside the driver door.

Nice chrome air cleaner, does it have chrome valve covers too?

Hey Wildcat, i just bought a 66 Riv from a gentlemen who said it was rebuilt right before he got it and he believes it to not only not be the original motor, but also the wrong size for that year. He believes it to be a 401 nailhead. How can i find out if is it a 401 or 425? Also, how would i know if its a nailhead?

See attachment, notice the orientation of the valve covers. Totally horizontal= nailhead!

scrape oil crud off the machined block surface in front of the valley pan.

you should be able to read the letters and numbers.

letters to the Pass. side should be year and engine size/type.

K=64

L=65

M=66

then the 401 is a T

W=425

X=425 2-4bbl

R=401 for a GS.

in 66 the Riv could have a

MW (Wildcat 465) or possibly MX (Super Wildcat!)

The sequence of other ##'s would end in a serial #, which should match the one inside the driver's door(or where ever it is in 66).

Riv people, please correct if there are any problems here.

I had to check the "Standard Catalog of BUICK" about the availability

of the 401 for the Riv, it says the 425 was standard.

Ted, The picture you e-mailed me looks just like my motor except the ps pump is lower and more offset to the right. The valve covers look identical to your picture. Also, you asked me if I had the chrome valve covers, I have to check further. Someone in thier infinite wisdom spray balmed them green and I need to clean them futher to be able to tell. Thanks

Bart,

Bill and Ted are great guys! I've bought parts from both.

I have a '65 Wildcat Deluxe (46467). Great car. Parts are hard to comeby but not impossible tofind. Check this site often as well as e-bay, oldbuickparts.com, classicbuicks.com, and fremansauto.com. Neil Freman owns a huge junkyard in Montana. I picked up a lot of parts from him as well. Very friendly.

I also have some extra parts. Le me know what you need and I'll see what I have.

Greg

Thanks Greg, I'm trying to get a list together, but not enough time in the day. I've currently got 5 restoration going for other folks and can't seem to get to my own stuff. Great for business, bad for me. Will let you know when I figure it all out.