65wildcat custom convertible

batman65

Just aquired a 65 wildcat custom convertible, have all numbers, believed to be numbers matching car. Need help, cars is loaded ps., p.b., cruise, a/c, 4way bench seat, audio reverb switch, p. ant, p. trunk release. I am very excited to save this beauty from the land of no return. Need help from some Buick guru's, I'm a Chevy man lost in the land hard to find information. Any help would be greatly appreciatted. thanks Chad

Welcome to Buick ownership! You have picked my favorite car to start with. I'm restoring 2 Wildcat convertibles and 2 65 coupes. Sounds like you bought a good one. Start with the engine ID. If it has a air cleaner with Wildcat 445 its a 401 ci engine, rated @ 325 HP and 445 lb-ft torque. Optional engines were the Wildcat 465; 425 ci rated @ 340 HP and 465 lb-ft torque. If you found a Super Wildcat, you got the optional 2-4bbl 425 ci engine; 360 HP and 465 lb-ft torque. This one is all dressed up with finned aluminum valve covers and chrome air cleaner. Buick only made about 550 Super Wildcats (all body styles) in 1965, so thats a rare cat. The 401 is a fine engine, hooked up with the Super Turbine 400 transmission it can giddy up.

Check out this website: www.buickstreet.com has some info.

Find a shop manual, ebay or buick vendors.

Search this site for Wildcat stuff. We talk about them pretty often.

Any questions, post away!

Thanks, I feel really good about this car. Can't wait to get started. I also have a 65 mustang hdtp, build date Feb 5, 1965, the first month for springtime yellow color and car has never been repainted. 1965 GMC 1/2 ton Truck, fleetside, needs a complete. Problem is getting away from everybody else's. Am currently reoing a 34 Ford sedan street rod, 56 Buick Century, a 48 Dodge Fuel truck that use to fill airplanes at a near by airport, and a 61 Dodge Pheonix 2dr, hdtp. Really like taliking to you guys. Any help or info about the 65 Wildcat custom Convertible is greatly appreciatted. Thanks

Thanks Robert! The only guy I know to go to on this stuff is "wild" Bill Burton. His 66 4-speed dual quad factory AL "X" manifold 3.91 posi coupe is awesome, as is his knowledge of Wildcats! Topcat on these boards. I've just tried to get book smart about them from all the factory literature. Plus all the junk cars I bought for parts. I am but an egg.

A friend of mine from Montana told me he knew a guy there with a conv. couldn't remember what year, but said the thing would run like a raped ape. Sound good to me!! Everytime I read something from you guys I get more excited about getting this going. My wife says I only know 2 words "Cat Convertible". Says I talk to you more than her. I think it's a great relationship. haha