1942-1950 Buick 3 speed stickshift

Hi,

I want to try to mate a three speed manual stickshift from a buick to my 40 ford.I would like to know if there is any difference in strength between the units produced from 42-50.I know the hp of the 42 with compound carburetion was rated 165 hp,then went to 150hp in 1946 and then 152hp for 1950.Are all the units the same,and does one operate better than the other.I appreciate any correspondence.

Thankfully

Robert

The 40-50 series transmissions were fairly weak, and would not take much abuse.

There have been several adapters on e-bay Ford to Buick trans. These years Buick trans were a closed driveshaft, you would do better getting an Olds or cad trans which is an open driveshaft, and a lot better trans than the Buick 40-50 trans. Another idea is the 36-37 trans which is a floor shifter, try to locate a 60-70 trans, still an enclosed drive train.

Good luck

Jim Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

• 2 years later...

buick had 2 trannies, one for small series buicks and one for big series.from 40 to 55 they are almost the same.also parts from 49 to 55 olds and 55 to 57 pontiac will work but the case a little different because of the open drive line.the 36 to 38 had the same gears but a floor shift.the ratios in the buick olds and pontiac are 2.39 low 1.52 second.small series are 2.66 low and 1.66 second.the big trannie is (closer ratio)and a lot stronger.also older cadillac and lasalle trennies had the same ratios as the buick.