Probable Nash Bumper Scams - 530-338-6008 and David Meehan

I may have just passed up a great deal, but I turned down what felt like a scam.  I got a call from a man at 530-338-6008 (A California cell phone) who offered me a NOS rear bumper for my 1949 Nash Ambassador for $450 plus $125 shipping from California.  Why the suspicion?  He is leaving for Hawaii tomorrow (So why is his cell phone based in California?) and would need the money sent immediately.  He didn't know a fair price and 'called a buddy to find out how much his father had offered the bumper to the guy for'.  He called back in under a minute - the guy had answered on the first ring and remembered the price of $450!  Then he checked on shipping and called back in under 2 minutes with the quote of $125. The shipper he had called had 'just sent a bumper to Norfolk' and quoted the price immediately.  A cautionary note to all who might get suckered by deals that are too good to be true.

I also got an email this morning from David Meehan (meehandavid61@gmail.com) who is 'parting out a 1949 Nash Ambassador'. The picture (attached) was obviously clipped from the Internet, a 2022 ad for a 1949 Nash on Barn Finds (Potential Bargain? 1949 Nash Ambassador Super | Barn Finds).  The car needed work but had beautiful chrome and a solid body.  The email said he was parting the car out due to health and age issues. Except it would take far more effort to strip a car than to fix it up, especially given the apparent condition of the car in the picture. I may owe Mr. Meehan and the unnamed caller apologies, but both came across as scammers.

image.PNG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I received an email message from the same guy, offering me a Citroen 2cv with ridiculously low miles at a dirt cheap price.  He said he was 90 years old and due to have surgery as soon as the car was sold.  I told him the timing was off.  Six months earlier, or six months later it would have been possible but I had to pass.  He got back to me offering time payments!  Then language was pretty awkward too so BEWARE!  I knew it was too good to be true,

image.PNG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In addition to antique autos, my husband and I are interested in vintage farm machinery.  I recently ran an ad in a well known farm machinery magazine to locate a particular hit and miss engine.  David Meehan sent a lovely picture of an appropriate engine and the original ID plate with serial number, etc.  In emailing back and forth he assured me it ran well and would ship it via freight to my doorstep.  He claimed to be 90 years old with grandchildren, was wheelchair bound and was selling the engine for health reasons.  In fact he would be having surgery immediately after receiving my money which I was to wire transfer to his wife’s account.

Too many red flags here and I did some further research which brought me to this forum.

We will not be purchasing from him.  So glad to have found this information in this forum.  Buyer beware of this scam.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just received and email from David Meehan (meehandavid61@gmail.com) as well claiming he has parts for my add in these forums for my 1928 Dodge. 

Glad i ran his name in the search bar here on the forums. I think I'll be ignoring this email. Thanks everyone for the heads up. This we be the third scam person contacting me regarding a parts request in the buy and sell section. :( 

• 1 month later...

I also just received an email from David Meehan (meehandavid61@gmail.com) claiming that he had a 1940 Oldsmobile he was breaking up due to his health. The picture he sent to me of his Olds looks immaculate,

bells started ringing this bloke is a SCAMMER.  beware

See details below.

Hi ,
"Here is an attached picture of my 1940 Oldsmobile which I`m about to break for parts because of my health challenges and my age which is not on my side  , I want you to send me the list of parts that you may need along with your location , to allow me know how far you are from me".
God Bless . David.

Olds_1940.jpg