WTB Wanted 727 torqueflite 1965

edk

I am looking for a 65 Torque flite transmission and dash shifter for big block. I believe this is a one year only transmission with two cables, one for the gear selector and one for park.  Looking for the shifter that goes with this also.  This is to restore a 65 CSS HPP truck. 

Leads appreciated also, thanks.  

• Like 1

Yep, those are one year only parts. 1965s 727s were normally column shift. Pushbuttons ended in 1964. The 1965 setup is called a "half cable", as the two shorter-than-normal cables go to the steering column instead of the dash. One cable is for park, the other one does everything else.

I believe you could connect the steering column shifter and short cables from 1965 Chrysler product to a 62-64 727, or some 62-64 pushbuttons and long cables to a 1965 727. The 1965 727 is still unique though. It has a modern style slip yoke at the back for a conventional universal joint, while the 62-64 727 has a flange at the back for a sliding block u-joint.

Console shifters existed in some models in 1965, but those would have used cables like all the others. 1966 and later 727s shift with a single linkage instead of 2 cables, so no interchangeability there.

EDIT: looks like the shifter is on the dash in that model. I still expect cables and a slip yoke since it's 1965. It's probably closely related to the console shifter (Sport Fury, Satellite, etc.).

Good luck on your search.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Thanks for your reply, learning more about what I need every day.  I have a pic of one from one of these trucks and it used a bolt on flange on the rear, have been told both were used. One fellow told me the flange one was used on 4 speed cars, I'm not sure.  He's sending me a couple more pics of his trans and shifter I hope. Can't quite visualize how that dash shifter would work with two cables. If i used an earlier one they all had the trans park brake due to the Lockheed rear brakes and taper axle rear end. The truck currently has a Poly and single cable shifter trans in it.  My plan B would be to maybe leave the single cable shifter in the dash and look into a 66 trans, are they single cable?  Probably slip yoke too.  

• Like 1

66 and later use linkage, not cable. One rod does everything. That didn't exist in 1965 as far as I know.

All the cable shift 727s have 2 cables. Pushbuttons have a separate lever for park, that's true, but 1965 shifters, column or console, do not. The shifter operates both cables and the driver cannot tell he is operating two cables. A 1964 console shifter is like this too, and probably back to 1962 if the console shifter existed that far back.

The shift cable enters the transmission case roughly where the left front corner of the pan is. It has a round adjuster thing on it with a bunch of holes. The park cable attaches to a rectangular thing on the bottom of the transmission behind the pan.

Oh.....   the plot thickens.    Back to trying to find a 65 trans and maybe that two cable dash shifter.   Might be looking a while.  Thanks for the information.   One more question, what did the motorhomes use that had a similar dash shifter, older A vans too I think?  Must have been a cable?

As long as we are talking 727 its the year of the transmission that matters. Anything 62-65 has 2 cables, anything 66-up has a linkage, no matter where the shifter is located or what it looks like. I never saw an exception, and I doubt any exist. If any of those dash shifters in A-vans and motorhomes were still used in 1966 or later, I would expect them to be very different because the transmission does not expect a cable.

The 65 is the first year with a slip yoke, and the last year with a rear pump, so the last one that can be push started.

1966 727 has linkage. It has a slip yoke. It interchanges with all the 67 and later later 727s, with one glaring difference. The torque converter splines are like the 1962-65 727s. This doesn't matter unless you want to put a different torque converter on. Most aftermarket converters fit 1967 and later.

One other thing on the off chance you didn't know. You need the right transmission for your engine series. The A/LA bellhousing bolt pattern is different than the B/RB one, and since the bellhousing is cast onto the case, you cannot change it.

Thanks for all the good info!!  Yes knew I need a RB trans, wasn't there a difference in crank bolts/flex plate or pilot hub size too in the early 60's?  I'm printing your posts to keep this information.