Bumper ID

RetroPetro

The mounting brackets (a few pieces missing on one side could be easily made!) appear to be adjustable for chassis width. That indicates that it was likely an after-market bumper for most any midsize to large car. Bumpers were not provided on most automobiles through about 1926. Some major manufacturers began offering factory optional bumpers around 1924/'25. Some high end automobiles offered bumpers as early as 1912, including I believe Pierce Arrow. 

This one appears to have what were likely nickel plated trim covers on the front sides of the bumper bars. They did not go all the way across, and were held in place in part or in whole by the front assembly brackets. They may have also been held in place by in part by fancy headed bolts through the trim piece and the bumper bar. Such fancy headed bolts more than anything held the trim piece centered on the bumper bar and made assembly onto the car easier. Once all the bolts were fully tightened, the trim pieces should stay in place even without the fancy headed bolts (the fancy head was a sort-of half a football shape!).

The bumper bars originally were most likely painted black, with the nickel plated trim pieces to add a bit of "flash" to the car.

I have always really liked that style after-market bumper on mid 1920s cars! I have seen quite a number of restored and even a few very original cars with them on the car. 

For whatever it is worth? I have seen at least one restored car where the trim pieces had rusted so badly, the fellow restoring the car made near duplicates out of stainless steel. These days that might be worth considering in place of the cost and hassle of nickel plating?

• Like 1