Tech help needed Buick Lacrosse

Den41Buick

I am looking for a Mr. Goodwrench person to answer a tech question.

I am replacing my 2014 Lacrosse with another 2014 Lacrosse due to my daughter totaling it. (she is fine)

The replacement car does not have navigation built into the car, but does have the screen similar to my last car which had navigation. If I purchase a 2014 console with navigation, and put it in the new car, will it ever work? I know next to nothing about electronic issues. My salesperson asked the Buick service department and no one could answer the question. Any help would be appreciated!!

On those cars, "navigation" had a module that ran it, plus a different antenna to receive signals as to your position.  Not just a "bolt-in" situation unless you get EVERYTHING off of the donor car. A GM dealership parts department might have an illustration of the navigation system hardware in the parts database.  Even IF all of the items were still available new or from a salvage yard, it would NOT be an inexpensive situation, plus having to "tear the car apart" to put it all in.

This is not a recommended upgrade due to the complexity of the system.!  If the car has the updated OnSTAR system (updated to use current cell phone signals), you can subscribe to "Turn by Turn" navigation as an option.  Completely auditory with no screen, as the original OnSTAR was before screens became popular with other brands.

Not to forget that many cell phone brands and providers now have "driving instructions" and maps available on them, too.  PLUS Google Maps has "Point A to Point B" routings available, with details of distances and which way to turn, when.  This can be done before driving.

Take care,

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)
  • Like 3