WTB: 700r4 BOP Transmission

lasmith03

I'm not sure that exists (someone in here will know). I don't think it does. If I remember correctly it came in Chevrolets first, so it is possible and even likely it was never made in the BOP pattern. That was the early 80s, and whould have been about the tail end of production for any of the BOP V8 designs.

The 69 Pontiac should be a BOP pattern, and the 700R4 should be a Chevy pattern, and four of the bolt holes line up. Adapter plates exist to take care of the rest. I don't know what to do about the speedometer.

Hey Lasmith,

To my knowledge the 700r4 never made a BOP pattern, the 2004r transmission is a direct bolt up to the BOP and works well as long as you do not have a motor that is pushing over 400 hp.  I have placed a 700r4 in my  GTO and used the adapter below. the biggest issue was that I had to modify the transmission tunnel to make it fit... heavy hammering was not enough to make the room and I will tell you that when you test fit the engine and trans multiple times it is just easier to cut the top of the tunnel and make it work from the top one time.  that is why I changed and went with the 2004r in my convertible as it was a bolt and go (with a modified driveline).  You will also need to change out your shifter to a 3 speed w/overdrive or a 4 speed unit.  hope this helps. 

image.png.9d0ceb3a480bad7b8db303ac13f11601.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...