September 15-16th, the best advertising auction in years at Richmond Auctions!

https://bid.richmondauctions.com/

This is our best auction to date. Across all the lots, I'd say it's one of the best to happen in the past 5 years. I'll post some video's below to show walls of inventory that are hung. You should at least take a look and enjoy how things used to be, when advertising was cool. 

On 8/27/2023 at 5:29 PM, Mike McCandless said:

This is our best auction to date

Mike how do you account for the influx of high quality advertising seen at multiple auctions including yours over the last few years?  Are collectors dying off or deciding to cash in while prices are high or a little of both?  In my case the wife keeps telling me it is time to start liquidating because she doesn't want to have to do it.  It is hard to accept that one is nearing the end of the line although my grandfather lived to 101 and both parents passed in their 90's.

Edited by Robert G. Smits (see edit history)

On 9/3/2023 at 6:29 PM, Robert G. Smits said:

Mike how do you account for the influx of high quality advertising seen at multiple auctions including yours over the last few years?  Are collectors dying off or deciding to cash in while prices are high or a little of both?  In my case the wife keeps telling me it is time to start liquidating because she doesn't want to have to do it.  It is hard to accept that one is nearing the end of the line although my grandfather lived to 101 and both parents passed in their 90's.

Everything is relative. I don't think there is as much of an influx as people think. These items had to come from somewhere. We continually see young collectors as buyers. They may often be a flipper, as they have private buyers they represent and do logistics for, but still, they're in the hobby. Our average buyer is younger than most would think. We spend every day trying to bring the best pieces to market. I feel comfortable in saying we bring the absolute best and highest condition items to market. Mecum sold more cars in their January auction, then we will sell total pieces for 2023. The believe the sign market to be in its infancy. When you compare it to the size of the collectible car market, it's a rounding error. Mecum sold more in dollar volume in 1 auction in one auction than the entire sign market will do this year. 

It's not uncommon for people with large collections, who are downsizing their life, to sell off and then repurchase fewer items, but higher quality ones. Kids leave the house, no reason for the big place, but they still love their collectibles.