Wiper motor required vacuum

pwlovely

Vacuum on our  old cars ( F,M,L )   is measured with a vacuum gauge.  A good reading is around 15- 22  "  on your gauge .  If you purchase one, it should have instructions.  Look for the vacuum port where your wiper hose  is attached. On most of our Old "H' series Lincolns, the engineers designed and had installed  vacuum tanks.  On my '42 LC Cab . 2 tanks were installed , one under each  each front fender.  On my '48 LC  Coupe , there is one installed under left front fender.  Each tank had a  3 port vacuum. 

valve . The '42 had vacuum widows, vacuum antenna, and a the wiper motor.  A "plumbers nightmare"  with all of the hoses--

The check valves  were pot metal and mostly junk now. So add up   all of your connections---  1  under carb,  3 at vac .tank, 3 at the antenna  control, 3 at your wiper conrtol! Good luck!  tell us what you find

First, I found the failure of the rebuilt wiper motor was not the supplied vacuum but disintegrated grommets in the arm joint connections that cause the wipers to move. I replaced those added a silicone lubricant and all is well. At idle 15-17 PSI is available and does work the wipers. PSI increases as rpm increases, obviously the wiper speed will increase. Now onto the windshield washer.

Thanks for the reply.

• Like 1