1951 Pontiac Chieftan

I have a '51 Pontiac Chieftan that was left to me by my partner when he passed a year ago. I love this car but I am not able to maintain it. I am not a mechanic for old cars...

This car is old, it's unrestored, and, it needs to find a new home. I don't know what to do to find it a new home, most people don't like cars that are unrestored. My partner spent lots and made it safe to drive anywhere, and, it's 360° patina is all there, but it is not and won't ever be a show car.

How do I find it a new home?

20230806_093940.jpg

• Like 5

You can advertise it here of course.  Location of the car is important and some idea on price too. Does it presently run and stop?  Do you have clear ownership papers for it?  My first car I ever owned was a 1951 Pontiac Chieftan in dark green over light green so I have a soft spot for these cars.

3 hours ago, TerryB said:

You can advertise it here of course.  Location of the car is important and some idea on price too. Does it presently run and stop?  Do you have clear ownership papers for it?  My first car I ever owned was a 1951 Pontiac Chieftan in dark green over light green so I have a soft spot for these cars.

Your car is a great starting point for a young person looking to get into the antique car hobby. Plus there are Pontiac fans across the country.

Determine the fair price you want for it before starting the effort and never add OBO (“or best offer”) after the price. Hemmings and other antique/collector car market sites (Just Google “1951 Pontiac for sale”) are good places to determine value by seeing what they listed and in many cases sold for. eBay motors will show sold and bidding prices. Also, list on Hemmings.com. Since it’s safe to drive, put a For Sale sign in the window with your phone number only and use it for grocery shopping and errands. eBay motors is a last resort as is Craig’s List. Facebook Marketplace is a good venue, everyone I’ve dealt with on FB Marketplace was reputable.

Join the Pontiac Owners Club (POCI) and affiliate with the local chapter. Someone there may be interested in it or assist you with any work if you like the car and decide to keep it.