Wire Wheel fitment issue

Gino Roth

I have an opportunity to buy a set of 21 X 5 wire wheels that I believe were mounted on a 1923 sports roadster model 54.  I want to mount them in place of my current wood spoke wheels that are on a 1926 model 26 Standard.  I think my dad had done this back in the day since he had both types of cars and I have pictures of them.  The wires come with hubs so that is no issue but can anyone tell me if those hubs will bolt to my existing drums?   If not, could I drill out the correct bolt pattern on my drums?  How likely are the front spindles and rear axles the same for both of these cars? What else would I need to complete this swap?  Attached is a picture of my 1926 front spindle - not very diagnostic but only one I got.IMG_9789.jpeg.9d1172dfb9ffe30967c28000f6763902.jpeg

It’s anything but a simple matter. I put Master series wire wheels on our 27 Standard roadster. The model 54 is of the larger series than the model 26 so everything is going to be bigger and the rear wheel bearings will be entirely different. I solved the problem by using the Master series front and rear ends. There are some simple bushings to be made to attach them to the springs. They have the same track width and you get bigger brakes in the deal too. The driveshaft had to be shortened so I took the opportunity to put in an overdrive. 

D86ED421-2BE7-4CB9-B7F7-BA9880CB1C80.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Roger that is very helpful.  Your car is beautiful.  I think I was mistaken about my dad using wire wheels from a 1923 model 54.  I just found a picture of the car he owned with the wire wheels and it was not a model 54 - it was a 1922 and looks a little like a model 44 but the doors are different and appears to be a smaller car and it also looks like the wheel hubs have external bolts to the drums.  Does anyone know what this model is and what wire wheels these could be?  Here is a picture of the car.

IMG_4374.jpeg

IMG_4372.jpeg

• Like 1