Westcott at Indy 500

AHa

Greetings,

I was looking at pictures of the Westcott race cars, specifically from the 1911 Indy 500. It was reported that the riding mechanic fell out of the Case car and the Westcott swerved to miss the mechanic and wrecked. I am posting two pictures. The one is labeled the Westcott with it's driver, the other supposedly depicts the wrecked car but the two cars appear to be different. The one car has full elliptical rear springs while the other has a unique spring perch in the rear with what appears to be single leaf springs. The number 7 car in the one picture is different than it is in the other. I'm sure I'm not the first to have wondered about this.

So, the number 7 car is supposedly the wrecked Westcott car. You will notice the radiator is well back of the front axle, it has two leather hood straps, a number 7, and that weird rear spring shackle joint. The second picture depicts a number 12 car, which corresponds with the number 12 on the car in the second picture. Both cars are reportedly Westcott.

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

Edited by AHa (see edit history)