Weekend and Holiday Law??????

Hi Everyone,

I need to settle something with a friend. Is there a law having something to do with driving a registered antique car/truck only on weekends and holidays???

Please reply.

Thanks

Hi- (thanks for the reply)

I'm from MA and I'm really talking about the old Ford pickups etc.....

no hot rods. Someone once told me that you could only drive cars registered as "antique" on weekends and holidays...i'm just trying to find out if it's true or not.

Guest Teamsterdug

Here in Illinois if you are running antique license plates you are limited to going to and from shows, parades etc. The antique plates are much cheaper than regular plates. I have heard stories of collectors get bugged by the police for taking the family out in the "antique" licensed car to places like the ice cream parlor just minutes from their house. I don't make a habit out of taking my antique licensed car to run errands but to date haven't really had any problems getting stopped for doing so. I'm sure this differs state to state.

Rosie, I'm from Mass and that used to be the rule when you got Antique plates for your car...now if you apply for Antique plates in Mass you must get a form which basically states that you won't be using the car as your "everyday" car and you must get the form notarized. I got Classic Insurance from JC Taylor and it's very cheap so I woouldn't bother with the antique plates unless you really want them.....

Guest Mr. Solutions

Up here in good old Alberta there is a huge difference price wise between day-to-day plates and antique plates. Therefore it made sense to me get antique plates; it is a one-time fee for as long as I own the plate. In fact, should I ever get rid of the car, my antique plate is transferable to any new antique I may get... (Talk is however that things are about to change...)

The same rules apply to what others have already mentioned:

- car club attendance

- car show attendance

- any activity to and from the above

- any activity involving the car club as a whole, ie. an outing to a location other than the club itself

- any activity involving a repair of the vehicle, ie. drive to a garage

- cannot be used for day to day activities

- limit to no more than 5000 km (never checked by the insurance company)

Now I don't want to talk bad about the Boys in Blue over here, but they're kinda clueless when it comes to running on antique plates. There are no members in the club as far as I know that have had problems driving on antique plates...

There are however quite a few members that do drive on era plates ie. plates from the year the vehicle was produced in. This is totally legal up here, PROVIDED you have your antique plates in the car with you. Our car registries department allows you to register you era plate as the display plate against your antique plate. Now for something interesting to keep in mind: the modern Police vehicle tracking system (computer) cannot handle the older plate ie. not enough digits in almost all cases, so they can't pull up any info. It is for this reason that a few member HAVE been stopped, but when the appropriate chapter and verse of the law is quoted TO the officer (notice total ignorance on this issue), which then usually verifies it, all is well again, and usually an intense discussion follows on / about the car itself!

At a recent meeting one member pointed out that all it takes under the law to constitute a "meeting" is 3 members of the club, so provided 3 members are present in the same or their own cars, all is OK as well. In addition, another member pointed out that he has an arrangement with his friend that owns a "home garage", that will always vouch (pre-arranged) for a problem the car has that needs fixing and hence the reason it is on the road... Nobody says you can't stop at your favourite burger joint on your way to see your local garage.

So, there are many ways around this issue about using antique plates for daily driving - depends on how far you want to interpret the law. However, I would be very careful to use my oldie as a true daily driver with antique plates just in case I have to pass the same officer daily..., & he notices. Also, some neighbours are very nosy & may report you?

Some food for thought!

When I first heard about our antique plates/registrations here in Texas, the most common comments had to do with "special functions", "parades", "club functions", "car shows", and such. Each of these phrases can be interpreted pretty liberally. Our antique plates exempt the vehicle from the yearly safety inspection too and are good for 5 years at a time. As the owner of the vehicle that had just registered his Edsel Ranger convertible pointed out, any time you drive that car it's "a car show" of sorts. Typically, parades, car shows, car club events, and such are weekend activities and that might be where that orientation could have come from.

Regardless of how the interpretations are manipulated, the other stipulations in Texas are that the vehicle can "carry no advertising" or be used on a daily basis. Some of our law enforcement people might desire verification on that "daily basis" issue and use it to perform other checks of the vehicle OR its occupants for other reasons too. I suspect that as long as everything is above board according to state statutes, everything will be ok.

In Texas, an "antique" vehicle has a set of criteria for it that basically excludes "street rods" by definition. Of course, the "newer engine in older chassis" things could really cause some havoc with the street rodders too if they didn't have things configured correctly.

We have the option of using either a year of manufacture plate or a state-issued Antique Plate.

We also have a "classic" plate provision that is like a regular plate and carries none of the exemptions/restrictions of the antique plate.

I suspect that most state-type entities will have similar statutes to their counterparts.

Enjoy!

NTX5467