1957 Imperial Fuel Pump not pulling gas

Klucky

I just had the fuel pump rebuilt and am having an issue getting it to work once it's in. I had it all hooked up and it's not pulling gas. I disconnected the fuel line to it, and there's no suction when the engine turns over. The pump seems fine, I worked the lever as much as I could and there was suction. What am I missing? Is there a trick to where the arm needs to go to make it work?

No suction when the engine turns over suggests the eccentric is not hitting the pump lever. Could be they sent you the wrong pump. Or, on Chrysler hemis the eccentric bolts on the end of the camshaft and it is possible it has come loose or fallen off. You could reach in thru the pump opening with a long screwdriver and slowly turn the engine over to check this.

If you have a vacuum pressure gauge used for fuel pump testing you can remove the suction fitting and attach the gage. Crank the engine and watch it it builds vacuum or pressure or nothing. If nothing happens check what you think the outlet side is. Depending on pump design the check valves could be reversed and the flow through the lift pump will be reversed also.

Another way to check if the valves are correctly installed would be take the hose and line off the pump and use a hose on the suction side and blow with your mouth. If the valves are in correctly and working you will be able to blow that way but not be able to push air the opposite way.