87 442 Rear Question

jndnaps

Hi, I have an 87 442 with 76,000 original miles, I'm the original owner. I'm hearing noise in the rear, Kinda like a bad bearing. A local mech had changed the gears in it about a year and a half ago and also said all the axle bearings were good and repacked them. My question is isn't there a bearing in the rear where the drive shaft goes in? I'm thinking that's where the problem is. I get a vibration and the noise I hear is coming from the rear. Also had new U joints put in and had the drive shaft checked and it was still balanced just fine. Does anyone here have a diagram of the rear that you could email me? Thanks

Edited by imported_jndnaps (see edit history)

Yes, there is a bearing that supports the axel near the wheel as well as the other end of the axel where is goes into the differential. Both are roller types. There are basically two types of bearings, good ones and bad ones. I recently replaced all of the bearings in the rear axel and diff in my 85 LeSabre. Two of the bearings were really pitted and were putting up quite a howl. Once these repairs were made, the car road much quieter and with considerably less vibration. While the guy is in there, have him check all the bearings, if suspect, replace them and be done with it. It will cost a bit more now, but better than having to open it up again. If one of those axel bearings gives up the ghost, you may need a new axel too. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply Sgt. Art. I was there when the Mech. took the rear apart and when the axles were taken out they looked fine and the 4 bearings were fine. No pitting or anything. My question is, Is there also another bearing where the Drive shaft goes into the rear? Also how many bearings are in the rear total? The way I look at it I threw away $300.00 putting in new gears that I really thought were good, But the Mech. said they looked damaged. Also the Magnet in the rear was gone. You could see where it was, But it wasn't there anymore. I'm just trying to figure this out without wasting anymore money. Thanks again...

I had just done this with my 84 Hurst over the weekend. I had alot of dirt and debris in the rear from the pinion seal going bad.

I emailed you privately about the problem.

I had to completely rebuild and clean everything very carefully and get all new parts, axles, bearing kit, seals, ring and pinion, new posi and C-clip eliminators and ofcourse some Amsoil 75W gear lube.

I removed the entire rear from under the car to make it easier but too longer then I had planned, cause of the added parts to my list at Summit (20 minutes from our shop). Took about 7 hours to clean, bead blast the housing, rebuild every thing and make the change from C-clips to bolt in styyle axles (already had them and a new posi sitting on shelf).

Let me know how you ordealk goes.

Paul @ M&J Proformance