31 Commander Transmission - Trouble shifting into 2nd Gear

We're getting closer to getting the Commander back on the road.  Ran into a hiccup.  The car is really having trouble shifting into 2nd gear.  Took the cover off and nothing is obviously broken.  (There is play/slop in the movement)

Any ideas for common issues...or anyone have a possible replacement transmission (or parts)?
31 Commander Model 70.

It looks like I have the same transmission.

Apparently there is a spring and retainer that lift the shifter as you go from 1st gear to 2nd.  The retainer isn't holding it in place, or something is missing?  As you move the shifter from 1st to 2nd, the bottom of the shifter drops, and it won't slide to the other planetary gear.  

Marking on the top of my case is T-75-148

Marking on right side of trans case is T-75-1  W-G-C   (The "W-G-C" have dirt built up and is at an awkward spot, so it's difficult to tell whether they are the letter "C" or "G")

I'll send you a PM to work out any details.

Thanks for the help.

There is not a retainer.  The spring sits on a ridge in the trans tower.  It is important that the shifter stays in position for the freewheeling to function.  Do you have a parts manual? There is a good cross section drawing showing the internal parts and position.  This spare trans is 500. I will be at the June South bend swap meet.