Holley 94 Carb on 1937 248 engine(don't do it)

Darius Stefan

6 hours ago, carbking said:

Most 1937 and 1938 Buick owners with the Delco choke adjust the choke so it is wide open when the engine is at normal operating temperature.

I adjusted mine so it was just barely closed when cold (50° ~ 60° F).  It seems to be working, as I pump once or twice and it starts.  I do use the throttle to raise the idle for about a minute as it warms up.  It's a PITA to remove the air cleaner, but last time I checked the choke, it was fully open when hot.

• Like 1

I rebuilt the carb and choke on my 38 special ( Stromberg AAV1) 30 years ago and with careful adjustment I set the choke exactly the same as EmTee and have not adjusted it since. The volatility selector is set to the high side and after priming with my electric fuel pump it starts within 2-3 cranks. I also have to pull the throttle out for a minute or so since no matter how I try I cannot get the little thermal spring idle cam to raise the engine speed high enough to prevent stalling.  My choke is fully open when the engine reaches operating temperature.

• Like 1