1934 plymouth turn signal

1934PE

I installed a new wiring harness and had 7 wire turn signal wires added to it. They worked fine for 2 weeks. I would get L & R outside lights and the red flashing  light on the steering column control. Now the control unit red light doesn't work.  The outside signals still work. Bulb seems OK. Car is 6 volt positive ground. Are the plug in flashers plus or negative voltage sensitive?

Is there just one blinking light inside that blinks for both right and left?

I ask because that is often the case on conversions, and it matters. If there is one blinking light inside the car, not separate ones for right and left, then the third flasher pin powers the one light.

If the bulb is verified good, you should be able to follow the wire from the flasher third pin to the bulb. The bulb grounds to the case of the switch, and the switch usually grounds to the steering column. If the switch is well grounded to the steering column, and the bulb is well grounded to the switch, then the flasher is the only thing left that could be bad.

I don't believe the positive or negative ground matters on the old thermal flashers that old cars typically use. If the flasher is electronic, or an LED flasher or something like that, then it probably matters.

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 3

UPDATE   Bloo Yes there is one bulb inside the turn signal control unit. The wire from the third flasher pin goes directly to the light bulb. Ground wire is good. The bulb is 6 volts. FINALLY I took the flasher unit apart and inside is a modern transistor ( UTC 9012L ) I think transistors need a positive voltage on the collector. I have a positive ground 6 volt system. My turn signals do work but not the inside light with this modern flasher. I don't know how to fix this problem. Is there a solution?  I'm going to look for a pre transistor flasher. 

• Like 1