64 power vent window drive gear replacement.

Deanoko

I’m doing this project now with new metal gears from C.A.R.S.  
It looks like one could easily drop the motor, housing, and part of the gear transmission by unscrewing 4 bolts holding it to the top of the housing.  The only thing preventing that is a single bolt which threads in from the interior side of the mounting panel.  (1 of 3 holding the motor in place.)  

I’m wondering if anyone has gotten a thin box wrench in behind there to do that.  Seems like it would make life a lot easier, as then you could just lower the drive gear out of its sleeve , clean everything up and put the new one in.

Thanks for the tutorial! I've studied and took pictures of the mechanism in wrecking yards.

However, in addition to new gears, I also have new vent window rubber and channel to install with that stop at the top that I've bump my big head on so many times. Want to do it all at once. So, I think a little more surgery when I get around to it.

Having a drop sheet below might be a good idea to catch those bits you mentioned. Decades ago, I lost some of those nylon power seat slides that way. Must've had poor lighting back then.

So, the other side should be a piece-of-cake now unless you still plan to mount an OSRV Mirror there!

Yes, you're going to have to do a much deeper dive than I had to.  I will add that there is 1 washer under the drive gear I ended up not needing, so only the bushing and cup washer is used. I'm ambivalent about the RH remote mirror.  I will have to mock it up with tape or have a friend hold it and decide after that, but you're right, should be much easier.  I put a convex RH mirror on my 58 Chevy and use it a lot. That was a "fab job" since they don't offer that for s 58 but do for the 57.  I transplanted the mirror face over.  Ive learned to depend on them in my modern cars. 

• Like 1