Oil Weights, Engine, Trans, rear end

Hello All, I was wondering..What kind of oil do you guys use? in engine and drive train? I'm losing oil out the front of rear end , Is there a seal there? Also my car is losing prime, It pegs the gadge when cold, goes down to half when hot. Let it sit and sometimes the oil pressure does not come up. I have to prime to get the thing home. Is there such thing as 600W as the manual says? for trans. Well I have a million more questions. I'm joining the club this week, Art

Q#1 Oil, I found a 600W equavalent at a local Texaco oil distrbitor that i read about on a Model A web site. Used it in the dif and trans. I have yet to try them out. I have read that you can use modern 90-140 W in there too. There have been a lot of talk on the Forum in the past. Use the search feature to learn more. Skinned Knuckles magazine had a great series of articles a while back on the subject. I can get copies if you need.

Q#2 I'm sure there are seals. Not surprised your car is leaking. The seals must have dried out years ago in storage.

Q#3 Have you checked the guage for accuarcy? You might temporarily plumb a "new" guage to check the old one. Also be sure to check the clearances on the pump.

Q#4 Welcome to the club!

Thanx for the help. What engine oil do you guys use? One guy told me to put diesel engine oil in it, is that right? I have straight 30 weight in it now, for about 30 miles, I'm getting ready to change again, Should I use non-detergent? A name and weight would be helpfull. Thanx in advance, Art

I have Kendall 30W in there now. After a few miles, maybe 100 or so I will switch to a 5 or 10W30. And yes do use a detergent oil. Just change the oil more often as the contaminants will be suspended in the oil. I highly recommend reading the articles about choosing an oil for your car in Skinned Knuckles. I can get copies for you.

Thanx Chris, I'm glad you're back from vacation, heheheh. I joined the club, and would appreciate any info I could get. I have the pump off right now, some cracks but not all the way thru. The Skinned Knuckles books sound great, as mine are right now and will be more, heheh great ain't it. Thanx for all your help, Art

• 3 weeks later...

I'm one of those people on the Model Forum that use the Texaco oil. It's called Thuban and it's really thick. You must order it in 5 gallon buckets, I did and sold the excess to other Model A'ers. After a couple of years with the stuff here's what I think.

Reandend: Yes, it's great back there and since it's thick, I greatly reduced leaking in my 1930 Model A Coupe.

Steering Box: I've never seen a Chandler steering box, but the Ford will leak like crazy if you use what most people call 600wt oil. The stuff most Model A Suppliers sell is realy 140wt with a sticky additive. The Texaco oil is really a steam cylinder oil and works much better. In fact, everyone I shared the oil with said the leaks stopped from that area.

Gearbox: Here's where I say the stuff is really too thick. Yes, if you live in Arizona it's fine, otherwise it's too thick for the gearbox.

Everything else where 600wt oil is called for it performs very well.

But what about the geatbox? I've found a modern industrial oil that comes in quart bottles. You can get it from:

Luriplate

PART # LUB008

Restoration Supply Company

2060 Palisade Drive, Reno, Nevada 89509

(775) 825-5663 Phone

(775) 825-9330 FAX

restoration@rsc.reno.nv.us

I have more info on the following page:

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/durant/Tech/600wt.html

Rick Botti

1929 Durant Roadster

1930 Model A Coupe