72 Cutlass, Leaky windshield help....

Front and rear windshields leaking on my 72 cutlass. Car has chrome trim around edges w/ those nasty little GM clips holding them in.

Basically looking for tips on preping the windshield gasket edge, there is a good deal of rust on the front (i removed the chrome on the front glass today and will pull the windshield and see how bad the rust is in the pinchweld) I expect some rust as well on the rear. I plan on taking out the angle grinder w/ a wire brush and cleaning up the excess caulk and rust. I will also need to bondo (or fiberglass tape) a few spots w/ 1/2" size rust holes on the top edge. Should I take all of the edge down to bare metal and prime/paint? and yes, the glass is coming out.....any other tips on windshield seal repair??

Also wondering if I can use an adhesive to reinstall the chrome vs. the clips, If not recommended, know where I can purchase new clips??

Thanks in advance, DJ

Any parts store that has body shop supplies will have or can get the clips. You may also need screws to replace the weld studs that the clips originally attached to.

My experience with a post-65 GM car is that the only way you'll stop fixed glass leaks is to pull the glass, do any metal repair needed, and then reset the glass in the opening with all new sealing material. A lot of time, work and expense, but it's the only permanent fix.

My parents bought a 1969 Impala brand new, drove it home from the dealer in a rainstorm, and it was leaking front and back with less than 50 miles on it. The old man took it back several times and they'd gob black sealer around the edges which would stop it for a while, but it always started leaking again. With warranty about to run out, he took it back and told them to pull the glass and reseal it. When they pulled the glass, the butyl sealer tape was loose from the glass and pinchweld about 75% of the way around. It had never sealed properly at the factory. So- he got all new carpet and underlayment, seat covers and all labor at Chevrolet Motor Division's expense.