Amp meter - wiring '47 Lincoln coup convertible

pwlovely

I had a fire under the dash and am replacing all wiring harnesses. I failed to take pics of the back of the instrument cluster before removing all the charred wiring. Please see the back of the amp meter below. There are two rings (so to speak) on the back of the meter. The wiring scheme says to insert a yellow (thick wire, indicating a power wire) colored wire (the wire has a bare end, no connectors are indicated in the Rhode Island wiring scheme) through the two rings. The diameter of the opening of the rings is about 3/8"; the diameter of the wire is 1/8" to 3/16". I assumed there was an insert, fitting the 3/8" diameter rings, into which the yellow wire would be inserted. Boos-Herrel states there is no such insert that he knows of. Do I bend over the yellow wire several times before inserting the same in order for the wire to stay, otherwise securing it somehow? 

Thanks for the help.

• image.jpeg.baed59f6a149f9d5cec0f71369536f2a.jpeg

The wire just has to pass through the rings. It does not have to touch them as it is an inductive connection that senses the current flow. The wire should have a terminal on the end and it should connect to the circuit breaker.

Boose Herrel has the wiring diagram on his website.

Please look again. The wire should not make any connections at the meter. I have the 1941 wiring diagram (it is similar to the 46-48 wiring) and it shows the wire comes from the battery side of the starter solenoid to the circuit breaker. The wire was supplied with no connector to facilitate installation, the ring terminal would not fit through the rings on the back of the ammeter.  They should have shipped you a ring terminal to be crimped on the end of the wire.