Croxton Keeton automobile

Guest normandie

Guest normandie

I'm seeeking the whereabouts of any surviving Croxton-Keeton automobiles, parts or literature for our local museum.

• 1 month later...

Have you found any? I searched about 15 years ago and found no one with any knowledge of an existing one. I have plans to do a book about one that was used in a pioneer trip in Colorado but sure would like to find an existing model.

gac

Which Croxton-Keeton model did you have in mind, the "French Type","German Type" or perhaps the diminutive Car-Nation?

1913 had a Keeton with a Keeton engine driven by Bob Burman. In 1914 the Keeton had a Case engine and Billy Knipper drove it. Famous Long Islander Ray Gilhoolie, inventor of the Gilhoolie ran a chain drive Isotta. That would be a fantistic find today.

Thank you Bob,for correcting my misunderstaning.

I have a tenuous connection with the aforementioned Gilhoolie as I once puchased some items from his estate, regretfully the Isotta was not among them.

For the edification of those not au courant with labor saving domestic appliances I have provided an attachment above showing one of many treasured Gilhoolies that rank among the most worthy inventions of mankind, particularly the bottle cap opener on the end.

And lest I be accused of soiling this DL with non auto related twaddle here is the aforementioned Case engined Keeton with Knipper at the wheel,this model was their "French type" AKA Renault style dash radiator, the German Type had as guessed conventional Mercedes type honeycomb cooling with a front mounted radiator.

Carleton, At the risk of commandeering this thread please tell us more about Ray Gilhoolie. I thought his only claim to fame was the racing maneuver prefected by Danny Sullivan on his way to winning the INDY 500 a decade ago. Every kid (AND adult) can't resist doing them in a snow covered paking lot. Tonite I'll post a photo of the Isotta when it was fitted with a HISSO aircraft V8 in 1924.

I have never seen a picture of a Croxton-Keeton. I have seen pictures of both makes separately and always believed that my Grandfather was telling stories about the Croxton-Keeton that he drove in Winnipeg, Manitoba prior to the first world war. He said that there was a taxi company that had a whole fleet of them. They looked like Buldog Macs he said so I guess that makes them the French ones.

Happy hobbying

Well,Bob, In addition to my other occupations or lack thereof I truly enjoy cleaning out houses and estates, something I have done nigh on 30 years,getting started courtesy of my parent's lawyers who mentioned the trouble they had finding capable and knowledgeable people to clean out and dispose of the contents of houses of deceased folks and there are few things I enjoy more than rummaging thru virgin attics, basements and garages.

The Gilhoolie haul came from a house in College Point,LI, in about '82 or '83, in addition to many old car parts, including Fenton cast iron headers and Offy aluminum intake manifolds with Isky cams{which fit Plymouths by the way,still have them} there were 6 boxes of the pictured Gilhoolie Bottle Openers, an attachment of which I provided earlier.

Did Ray Gilhoolie manufacture these devices which bear his name or is it one of those puzzling coincidences which set minds a thinking????