1936 Chrysler Airstream w/T86 1A overdrive transmission

philipj

Philip,

To the best of my knowledge, this transmission, with the exception of the over drive, shares a lot of parts  with many other transmissions.  This is a good things for many reasons.  Mostly because over time, these parts establish good design, proper function, and longevity.   Unfortunately, for reasons unbeknown to me, this transmission was very short lived, in only a few vehicles.  The 36 Chrysler Airstream also came with a non-overdrive unit that was identical to the rest of the Chrysler brands at that time.  Therefore, you can always easily, and cheaply, substitute a non-overdrive unit, to keep it moving as I did.  

As for operation they are very simple. Engaged they come in at about 35MPH, as if it was a 4th gear.  Problem I have is the free wheeling.  These are not legal in many state, for good reason.  In hilly parts of the world where I live, the car came quickly take on speeds, that you don't expect  with the sound an feel of the engine.  More modern overdrives in the 50's had a solenoid that was used to govern this operation, to the best that I can tell.

ERIC

Edited by VW4X4 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hello Eric,

Thank you for your input here... The fact that it shares a lot of parts with other transmissions is good thing, but the fact that it went only in a few vehicles at the time of production could be because of cost, which tells me that any overdrive parts would be a nightmare to source today leaving you with having to install a regular transmission and a driveshaft if you had to overhaul it... The freewheeling issue would not apply to me since I am in flat land!..:)

Edited by philipj (see edit history)