Ebay Has a Hokey Policy About Bidders Who Don't Pay

leomara

18 hours ago, Uptowndodge said:

More power to you, your doing so good you probably won’t go back to work. The buy pays no fees but just getting tax on a part that’s been taxed sucks too. The tax makes a good deal not so good as you think. So did you give them your tax ID or your social Security number they send you a 1099 

Thanks for your concern, but I was rather successful in my career and fortunate to have a good union pension combined with other investments I had made, and I was able to retire 5 years early. I set it up so I WILL NEVER GO HAVE BACK TO WORK EVER AGAIN! SO SELLING MY LIFE'S ACCUMULATION  OF COOL STUFF ON EBAY (AND OTHER PLACES) IS THE CLOSEST THING TO A JOB I EVER PLAN ON EVER HAVING AGAIN.  The beauty of it is I know that the items I am selling more then likely will get tossed when I pass on if I don't sell them. I really don't need the income generated so I been putting it aside to deposit in account for my Granddaughter's this week when I can get out to the bank. Ironically I had to call my son's to get their daughter's SS#'s, as well as my son's.......My accountant said it might be deductible if I deposit in a certain type of account.  What an crazy circle this can be?   So I can get taxed when I get it, but write it off when I give it!  

I have a good accountant so the tax's have not been an issue, even if they are as he say's paying tax's are a good thing, that means I made money!" 

To be honest what ever personal information I had to provide Ebay is the same that everyone else had to provide them, besides I don't recall it was over a year ago, most likely it was my SSN. It is just standard information as with doing business with any institution that is paying me direct. I do recall the transaction that inspired them to ask for my information.  I had sold an NOS heater for a Chevrolet Truck 55-58 in an unopened box, it brought me over the $600 threshold and I think I got paid up to $600 but to get paid for the balance they needed the information. It reminded me of a standard I believe W-9 I filled out years ago. 

The sales tax is a problem and I know has had a negative impact on the sale of some of the high dollar items I sold over the years, and was a negotiating point for the eventual buyer. I know that now going in and factor that in on my asking prices and realize that there needs to be some 'wiggle' room for the sales tax    

You never answered my question, do you know of any other platform that delivers the same type of exposure and results for less cost to the seller? There is none that I found. Would you rather sell it and pay a fee and put a few bucks in your pocket, or list it for free and look at it for months? I am at a point in my life where I am not looking to waste time, time is money to me    

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I sell a few things on Ebay too. The only recourse you have with non paying bidders is to report the unpaid item, add them to your blocked bidder list and move on. It hasn't happened to me a whole lot but yes when it does its frustrating. I usually try to sell stuff in person first through Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace but some things just need a larger exposure and for that Ebay is pretty much the only horse in town...

• Like 1