1961 Oldsmobile Paint Choices

mjmyaire

1961 Oldsmobile Starfire Restoration, Ebony Black, PPG 9300.  Was assuming firewall would be same as body color but my painter thinks it should be semi-gloss from what he sees and experience.  I would've thought they would spray the body and firewall at the same time.  Wondering too about the underside of the hood whether it would be body color, semi gloss or some combo of the two.  Hood hinges semi gloss with dark green springs I believe.  Under the cowl cover (where the wiper control arms are) I'm thinking may be matte black.  Anyone have some guidance here?  

Thank you!

Mike

I can't speak 100% to 61, but assembly plant had a lot to do with whether 62-64 cars had black or body color firewalls.

You have to remember original paint then was acrylic lacquer which would have been cut and polished on exterior surfaces. Door and trunk jambs and firewalls would not, so that may be why your painter is going toward a matte finish.

Trying to think who I know with an original paint or correctly restored 61 big car. Dave Holt in CO has an I think original paint Azure Mist SF and used to be on here. Everett Horton's Platinum Mist SF is one of the best restored 61s in the country but he died a few weeks back and I don't know how to contact his son Gordon.