Mark Gregush

Hi Mark,

Happy New Year.

Several differences in Johns Manville speedometers

White Face

CC2308DB-4E21-49ED-9C5E-F8B2FA530B22.jpeg.ffa2ad920bbf689a037cdb517ec58b8a.jpeg

Or Black Face.

F305D2C6-AAA0-483D-8E0C-F3F54F439818.jpeg.5c950b3bd749f8a221218412f679e896.jpeg

Also there are differences in drive ratios according to the parts manual.

5425DBE6-96B6-49CE-A98F-A1B26198D22E.jpeg.d8816df02d39ea69b73da50269e1308a.jpeg

Then of course there were differences in tyre size.

And you have to take into account the differences in connections.

46AD31B3-9E3E-4ED9-B32D-6C46F9CCBB43.jpeg.404df14650a0b54c8a8ca4f8e8c3c16c.jpeg

These are some of the differences.

😊 Nige.

• Like 2

Thanks for posting that info. I did look at it in the Master Parts List. It shows both those number on the same item line but does not differentiate between the two in the following 3 parts number. Both speedometers' model numbers being for MPH with square drive in this case. Final rearend ratio and tire size could be the difference, but that information is not given. More than likely, it will be off, but I am use to that, every car I have, have to do that! LOL Wonder if it is just physical differences, not application differences?

Looking at a 113H, but the thread for the coupling nut is boogered up. Have to decide if I want to spend the money on it (price is not bad) and try to restore the thread or keep looking. I have the speedometer cable housing so would just need the inner cable. 

Other option would be to change the drives in the transmission I am going through and keep the NE that is now installed but not hooked up. I would need to find the cable parts only then to hook up. As long as the indicated speed is in the ballpark, I would be happy. 

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)

Both the 113 and 115 are marked on their face with the model number and both are black face, at least the ones I have seen. They both have the pullout peg for trip reset, not the wheel. Have seen samples with trip reset cog wheels fully enclosed others with them exposed. 

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)

After doing some research in the MPL, I now think it is a ratio situation. Around April 26, 1922, Dodge went to semi floating rear axle for the Sedans. They have a different bevel/crown gear parts number shown in the MPL. The MPL does not show ratios for the bevel/crown gear, just parts numbers. The repair book does show the ratios, but no year or parts numbers. Making a guess I am inclined to believe that the sedan may have used the 4.545 to 1 while rest of cars got the 4.166 to 1 so would have needed a different speedometer, guessing that would have been the 113H.

I am going to go with all cars up to July 9, 1923/929894/116 wheelbase, rolling on 32X4 inch tires. 

• Like 1

I missed out on the one with buggered thread. I have a tool like shown in the link, but it's too big to have gotten in that tight space. I was going to use a thread file.