1963 Oldsmobile 98- 394 ignition

Scottfre

If there's an electronic distributor made for the 394 I'm not aware of it. A Mallory Unilite, Pertronix Ignitor or Jacobs conversion kit will accomplish the conversion but I don't really think it's necessary. Get a GOOD set of points/condenser, distributor cap and rotor, plugs and wires and the engine should run fine.

Bears repeating that the 394 firing order is different than the 65-later GM firing order. 49-64 303 thru 394 18736542, 64-later 330 thru 455 18436572.

I've gotten plenty of laughs off Chevy guys who install plug wires the Chevy way, never considering the distributors on Oldsmobile V8s rotate COUNTER clockwise.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Echlin are good. Those and Standard/Blue Streak are probably the best quality new production ignition parts you'll find.

By good I mean old stock Delco-Remy, Echlin, Standard/Blue Streak, Niehoff, Atlas, Filko, KEM, P&D and others. These are built heavy enough to perform well and last a while.

Cheap points have lightweight tension springs which cause point float at higher rpm, and the contacts are sometimes not aligned well.

• Like 1