Help 56 olds holiday 88 jetaway selective washer

sgtkish

Please help. Hopefully I can get some expert advice here. I have been searching the web, and asking guys I know about this subject for a couple months now and it's driving me crazy.
I have rebuilt a 56 holiday 88 from the ground up and I am at the last part of my rebuild, and now I am stuck. I have rebuilt the thing and I'm down to putting the last parts on, the torus and selective washer. The issue is I didn't have a selective washer on the thing that I am aware of. It's just not there where the book says it should go, and my lack of experience on this type of trans has got me scratching my head.

The book says it goes between the torus hub cover and I believe the intermediate shaft sun gear. Don't qoute me on those part names, I don't have the book in front of me at the moment. Well both parts look like they have a thick bead of weld around the hole of the part where it slides onto the shaft. Supposedly where this selective washer goes. I don't think it goes there because these welds are not smooth, and it will eat this brass washer up as soon as the trans starts running.

I don't know if someone down the line has welded these two spots for a makeshift spacer to act as a washer, or if the selective washer dosen't go on this model for some reason, or maybe I'm just looking at it wrong and it goes somewhere else near this area the book is talking about. I am just perplexed at this moment, and I'm scared the thing won't work as it is. Considering how everyone is telling me how I shouldn't be rebuilding this thing myself , and there is only 2 guys in the US that can do it. I'm no expert, but that sounds absurd to me. There has to be a number of guys that can pull this off from folling the book carefully...

I did the backlash check on it and I'm getting .023. I believe it needs to be below .018 at least. I do have some rubbing marks on the 6 sideways long springs incased in the side of the torus cover. So I'm wondering if someone took this washer out to use in another vehicle.

So my question is does this model have the selective washer and can someone please show me an actual picture where it goes? So I can see for sure, and also look at these 2 parts to see if there is a factory weld there in these two areas and this is normal.

Also if I have a .023 backlash what size selective washer will get me well under .018? I will send pics of the 2 parts in question. Thank you for any help I can get on this. I'm so nervous about putting this trans in the car as it is. The last thing I need is to be missing a part and installing the trans in the car without it. This is my forth forum, and no one has had the slightest idea. Well no one has commented, so it's a bit frustrating.  Please help...20221208_144713.jpg.fac731a08c609588ffdba4e980d019f6.jpg

Mark

Go on www.classicoldsmobile.com and look up these posters:

Coldwar, d2willys and Charlie Jones. All have knowledge and experience with slant-pan and Jetaway HydraMatics.

Also google A-1 Automotive in S Elgin IL. This is the Kasper family who have been rebuilding transmissions for decades. They know HydraMatics, and Oldsmobiles.

Good luck.