Using a spark tester

James Peck

I read a nice article called “DIAGNOSING A WEAK IGNITION SYSTEM”. In the November/December 2022 Issue of Ageless Iron Almanac. This is published by Successful Farming, perhaps as an aid to drawing more SF subscribers.

I have in the past tested autos, tractors, and movers for spark by holding s spark plug with a gloved hand to ground and cranked it over. Sometimes I saw a spark. I eventually bought a Lisle spark tester without knowing exactly why I needed it. This has a spring clip to hold it to ground. With the other end of the Lisle tester connected to a spark plug wire, you can crank without holding the plug. What the article mentions, there is a slight possibility that I knew this previously, is that an ignition system can produce a spark in free air but not under compression. The tester helps simulate the compression load. The remainder of the article concerns using a DMM or VOM to check the coil. I only have DMMs now. If we remember, the Fordson Model F tractor produced in the Rouge location, shared a flywheel-based magneto system with the Model T Ford. Both certainly strike me as having been difficult to troubleshoot using the meters of the day

Edited by James Peck
lost a letter (see edit history)
  • Like 1