Rubbing out final varnish coat

Shootey

I’m varnishing a piece of a Thonet chair. It is a bent plywood piece similar to Eames chairs. I’m using Petit captains 1015 varnish since I had it leftover from some woodie door interior work. I’ve put on the petit sealer on bare wood and so far one coat of 1015. I plan to put on several more coats. It is extremely glossy. my question is whether the last coat should be light sanded to dull down the gloss. Thanks. 

I know a lot about varnishing and furniture refinishing through experience but I don't know everything. I think you should look into a final coat of a lower sheen varnish rather than sanding. If you sand, even with with wetsand paper 600 or even 1200 grit it will only dull the high spots in the wood grain. You would have to sand it completely glass smooth to get an even sheen. Sanding with coarser paper will avoid this but will leave scratch marks. 0000 steel wool might work. 

Overall, my gut tells me any kind of sanding will obscure the grain and color showing through the haze. My suggestion would be a final coat of satin varnish or perhaps some furniture polish or wax that dries satin. 

• Like 1