322 Valve Covers

I took a valve cover off my '54 322 to investigate a rap, which I suspect is lifter related. Before I replaced the cover I consulted the '54 shop manual to see if there was a torque spec for tightening the nuts that hold the valve covers on, but didn't find one. I put the cover back as tight as I remembered it being, and now have a leak. should the gaskets be replaced EVERY TIME a cover is removed, and if so where can I get a set, I don't see them listed in the CARs Inc catalogue (www.BUICK-PARTS.COM? And is there a spec on how tight to snug the covers down to prevent leaks and cover damage?<P>Thanks,<BR>Bruce

Sounds like your covers are a bit warped. the outer edges tend to spread outward width-wise and bend upward length-wise as time goes by. Use a good ruler to check, gently bend with your hand while the part is in a vice, and use a new gasket every time. Don't make the nut do the sealing. that's what cork and gasket-seal are for! Happy motoring...

I have a 53 322 that has the same RUBBER gaskets on it as it did 8 years ago. After making sure the covers are straight use the gasket sealer to attach the gaskets to the covers not the heads. I have removed my covers several times and have never developed a leak. Try to find rubber ones, they outlast the cork/rubber combo ones, and make multiple removals possible. Be prepared to pay though, mine cost $24.95, but were well worth it. Watch ebay, I saw a set of rubber ones a while back. About tightening, a good rule of thumb is to hand tighten then go 1 and 1/4 turns more to seat them. Watch the corners, too tight will cause the gasket to squeeze out here.<BR>Bob