Valve adjustment and manifold install 40 special

Business_As_Usual

Made initial valve adjustment using procedure I mentioned in previous post. Car started right up. Used a piece of 3/8” tubing on the end of

a screw driver to aid in keeping it on the screws while adjusting the valves.  Piece was about two inches long and kept falling off. Put a longer piece on that was about 1/4 “ longer than the screw driver and held it in place with a small hose clamp. That worked very well and and made the adjustments easier.  Also installed the manifolds with a copper gasket coated with the graphite oil mixture on both sides of the gasket.  Made all connections to the heat riser valve housing just slightly snug.  After having the manifolds hanging on the head, I  snugged it up with a socket wrench.  I then torqued them down starting in the middle and working outward on both ends.  First to 15 pounds, then to 20. Tightened exhaust manifold to the heat riser valve housing, then the intake manifold to the housing, and lastly connected the exhaust pipe. My exhaust manifold was cracked and I had it repaired at a welding shop, so I don’t know how long it will last. Have about a hundred miles on it since this work was competed and it sounds great. It also is running a lot better since I cleaned up the rotor. Doing a Complete tune up  later this week.  Thanks for all the info I received on this forum that made this repair possible. I have added some pics. 9F7E2132-F35C-40D4-AE63-4572DD83DBEE.jpeg.a037d6bcbd00c64e842df641e8b593e8.jpegFB3C82D5-72A3-4318-B967-2F5F7E13E30F.jpeg.f542be12090e7f7e26e743605b0ca2c2.jpegBF3484F3-E864-4C99-9EF6-84EEFC2B4EB9.jpeg.ffd616cdb105e537169ccbdb801af0a0.jpeg24708131-1D14-414D-A607-EFA59EF3FD10.jpeg.23affa5ce3086b01ce68a1df8d1ae4c0.jpeg

• Like 4

Nice tool set up for the valve adjustment, I just did mine yesterday kinda been putting it off because it's a bit of a pain. I just did a few at a time, shut it off to tighten and then rechecked while it was running. They all seem pretty good now and the engine smoothed out some.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention I used anti-seize on all the threads involved with the manifold assembly. Even applied it the back side edges of the Belleville washers and the backside of the metal hold down on the long stud that holds the rear most exhaust on the head. Applied it where it rests on the manifold.  Maybe overkill, who knows. Had to use the gray permatex anti-seize, because I couldn’t find the copper stuff locally. Also noticed one of the belleville washers was a little larger then the rest, I put it on the front stud. Will keep you posted on how long it lasts. Driving and enjoying the car now. Should have plenty of nice weather before winter sets in. 

• Like 2