1915 Studebaker Four - Clutch Pedal Question (Need help)

Hi folks! 

I could use some help on this one: Clutch Pedal wont return after being pushed in and released

When I press the clutch pedal in, the flywheel retracts with the drive shaft - all appearing to work great. However, the pedal and drive shaft does not reset when I release the pedal. What am I missing? Does the engine need to be at speed for this to work correctly? Is there a clutch return spring I am missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks all! 

Hi

There is a spiral spring inside the presure plate. You will need to remove the drive shaft,. The Crank shaft has an extension in it that carries the presure plate. You must remove the nut  of the end  to remove the bearing and spring. There is also a pin going through  the shaft that has to be removed. It may be tough to get out but it is removable.

If you haven't serviced the resr u joint assembly it could be hanging up on old grease and crap and not allow the drive shaft to return.

Tap on my hand at the top,the scroll  down, you will see some old posts that you might usefull.

Good luck 

Pat

Hey Pat! 

Thank you for the excellent explanation. It helped verify our finding as well. Additionally, it appears that the person that originally installed it had misidentified two parts and failed to install a third. Following your steps, and installing the parts correctly solved the problem. The clutch now returns as it should.

Thank you again!