1948 Lincoln Continental sway bar link length?

dalef62

The 2 rusted vertical pieces are connectors used in suspensions in a lot of Lincolns.  I replaced all of mine on my '41 Zephyr when I rebuilt the front end.  Boos Harrel has them, they are pretty universal I think so they will work.  They are new and easy to put on.  You sometimes need a pickle fork to get 'em off, or just cut them off as they need replacing.  They come with threaded connectors in each end facing opposite directions with mounting nuts.  They are actually flex units so they move with the front end movements.  I also did bead-blast parts of the front suspension in my replacement, but if I could get new parts which I did mostly that made things easier.  I painted the parts and it looks like a new car!  I also replaced my sway bars and bushings which is important.  The old rubber was just worn out!  I also will use stainless steel bolts when I can.  I know some purists like the original bolts that get rusty, but I paint them all black anyway and they look original!   Have fun with 'em!!!

I will have to get ahold of Chris.  I know what the parts are, I was in Hershey when I realized I didn't have dimensions of the links and then I couldn't remember which one was the sway bar link and which one was the shock link.

Yes, there are different sizes.  And remember to change the connecting links mentioned early.  They connect the sway bars and shocks to the front suspension.  Also all the rubber parts of the sway bar are important to replace.  Chris has them for most things.  Probably some Ford types will also fit.  I redid my entire front end with new king pins and spindles.  Had the machine shop fit them prior to installing them so they were smooth and no binding.  It will make the steering a lot easier.  If you're going to the trouble of replacing some parts, it's a lot easier to change all the moving parts, bearings, and assemblies that you can.  I did have a rebuilt steering gear that another supplier sent me, but they didn't do it correctly, but I was able to put in the proper shims and have the steering operate properly.  A lot easier than returning it and hoping they would correct it.  In the '41 the steering the entire steering shaft is attached and operates the worm gear in the gear box, so it's a challenge to ship it other than totally intact.  There is a company called Lore I think that still rebuilds old steering gear boxes.  It is worth the effort as we don't have power steering on these cars!