32 Stude dash push button switch

Can someone tell me what the push button switch is for? Momentary contact, 3 terminals, between and below gas and temp gage. 

Also curious what others do with the "striped" insert/overlay when restoring. It appears ribbed but it is not, it seems to be some sort of chemical etch, possibly on chrome? When I polish with a little Simichrome there are still spots in the underlying plating. My instrument guy can try a silkscreen print but is worried about adhesion... stole this from a Gary Ash post. post-47871-143142408675.jpg.6aeaed3bd309dfa3fcdce22c51c89c9d.jpg

Gee, I thought that photo looked familiar!  😀

The switch is listed in the 1929-40 parts book in the section on the gas gauge.  Maybe the gas gauge wasn't energized full time, press the switch to read the gas level?

I think you are right that the pattern was etched into the metal as I can drag my fingernail over it and catch the patterns.  The finish is dull brown.  In order to get that outer plate off, all the gauges need to be removed after undoing the crimps on the back of the assembly.  Then, the grommet around the switch shaft will have to be drilled out from the back.  It's probably brass since a magnet doesn't stick to it, thickness about 0.022".  Maybe some variation of the "black nickel" process will produce a brown color, else use paint.

I used the gauges out of the cluster in my Indy car, but still have the cluster, including the switch and lamp sockets.  Do you want it?

1784988847_clusterapart.jpg.0e6f8abc416c1c54b282d99bef423634.jpgPresident cluster apart.

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

Gee, I thought that photo looked familiar!  😀

The switch is listed in the 1929-40 parts book in the section on the gas gauge.  Maybe the gas gauge wasn't energized full time, press the switch to read the gas level?

I think you are right that the pattern was etched into the metal as I can drag my fingernail over it and catch the patterns.  The finish is dull brown.  In order to get that outer plate off, all the gauges need to be removed after undoing the crimps on the back of the assembly.  Then, the grommet around the switch shaft will have to be drilled out from the back.  It's probably brass since a magnet doesn't stick to it, thickness about 0.022".  Maybe some variation of the "black nickel" process will produce a brown color, else use paint.

I used the gauges out of the cluster in my Indy car, but still have the cluster, including the switch and lamp sockets.  Do you want it?

1784988847_clusterapart.jpg.0e6f8abc416c1c54b282d99bef423634.jpgPresident cluster apart.

Sure! let me know what that'll take,I have paypal