‘49 Olds Hydramatic question

JonW

I haven’t driven my newly acquired ‘49 Olds much due to brake issues, but I have never felt it shift into 4th gear. The fastest I have had it s 50 mph. At what speed should it shift into 4th? The previous owner said it was a 3-speed, so maybe it’s not working properly?

It should go into 4th about 20 mph on level ground.  It comes out of 1st very soon, 3-4 mph, almost imperceptibly if it's well adjusted.  Stays in 2nd longer and noticeably upshifts to 3rd, then you feel it go to 4th which is 1:1 (NOT an overdrive gear as on modern cars).  At 50 in 3rd, the engine would be spinning very fast.

2 minutes ago, 68LTD said:

Agree with Grimy.  My 57 Cadillac would go into 4th at about 25 mph. 

Thanks, but remember that the '49 has the early Hydramatic, before dual range, and seemed to want to upshift sooner at light-to-moderate throttle.  I had a 1949 Olds 98 many, many years ago and loved it, except at fill-up time.

I have learned a TON on this trans over the past year.

Shift speeds are controlled by the long lever that runs from the throttle linkage to the valve body arm (the arm most towards the frame).

There is a coupler that you adjust at the trans. It spins on threads. Remove cotter pin...remove dowl pin...I suggest installing a hair-pin type as it's quicker to remove that type of pin while you are trying to find the correct throttle rod location. 

If your car if shifting late, the arm is too small. Lengthen it. Only a couple turns at a time.

If it's too long, shorten it. If you shorten it too much you will loose kick-down.

You need to find the sweet spot. I'm still tweaking mine after a full re-build.

Also - Many times the valve body is shot. They are very fragile. Too much force forward or backward on the throttle arm can cause internal damage. 

Rod 1.JPG

Rod 2.JPG

Rod 3.JPG

Edited by 57j2olds (see edit history)