possible overheating with a/c on

Shaffer I think you may want to check the fan clutch,it is thermostatically controlled and has a spring on the face of it that is affected by heat from the radiator that should engage it resulting in more air movement.If your reach your hand around the front side of it and there is dirt and grease stuck to the spring it usually indicates some of the silicone has leaked out and it may only be working well enough to keep the engine cool without the a/c on.<BR> johnny@oldairproducts.com

Shafer; I have a 72 Electra that I took on a long trip recently and I ran the air for a while on a 90+ degree day. The hot light came on every time I restarted my car after stopping for a brief period. Mine too went off after I started moving and got the air flowing again. I didn't let it bother me since it was never on when driving or sitting in traffic. I suspect a good cooling system flush and fresh coolant will do the trick. I hope!

That has happened to me as well a few times. I always make it a habit when I make a stop, to run the motor for maybe 30 sec. slightly above idle. I imagine that when you come off highway driving and stop, that excess heat is created just by the fact that less air is coming in, and this helps to offset that a bit.

Guest Shaffer

Today I drove my 72 Electra. It was a little warm today - about 86 degrees and halfway through my trip I turned on the a/c. Drove about 3 miles and stopped at a gas station for gas. When I got back in the car and started it my "HOT" light stayed on. It stayed on for 10 seconds after I started the engine. I immediately turned off the a/c. The "STOP" light was not on. I am hoping this is just where the engine "heated" up after I turned it off. My Dad said this may be the case. Has anyone else with a 1971-1973 Buick Electra ever had this problem? Any info appreciated.

Guest Shaffer

Also, I thought maybe the coolant was low, but I checked it as soon as I got home and it was in the "normal" range in the over flow tank.

I agree that the engine gets a little hotter right after you shut it off because you don't have the flow. However, even though the light is not coming on during regular driving, the car is probably running a little to hot. It does not sound like you were sitting in traffic for an extended period of time with the A/C running. Check that radiator, make sure there is no rust on the fins or it won't disipate the heat. Pull the fins with you hand - if they come off their rusted.

Guest Shaffer

Sounds like it is normal, so I am not going to worry too much about it. Thanks for all the input.