B.S and Whitworth Wrenches

Hi All, 

I recently inherited a tool chest from a local retired (and since passed) mechanic who specialized in British makes. As I've sorted through the tools I've notice quite a few sockets and wrenches marked as B.S. and Whitworth. I assume that means British Standard?

I've been piling them all in one draw and I figure there's about 25-30 wrenches and maybe half a dozen Soockets. I have no use for them as my current project is a '60's Buick. 

Any idea as to what they are worth, and is there any interest? I will update later this week with a picture. 

9 hours ago, alsancle said:

Post Some pictures.  They may be interest to RR and Bentley owners.

I had a chance to sort through them this evening and found a few were just old SAE and not Whitworth or B.S. 

Final count - 4 sockets and 12-odd wrenches. Useless to me so they may as well go to a good home. 

I'm still sorting through the tool chest and may find more wrenches and sockets. 

If you are interested send me a PM. Best offer Plus shipping costs gets the lot.

20220906_211046.jpg

20220906_211129.jpg

Edited by Riv Eng
Sp. (see edit history)

My sentiments precisely thank you Alsuncle.

Buying spanners tp suit all "English" cars is a tricky business. You need seperate spanners for both Pre WW2 and cars built in the 40's and early 50's and again with either fine or coarse threads and that is just the "English"!

Here I should explain that some Pre-WW2 European manufacturers used Odd numbered Metric sizes while others (Post WW2) used even numbers./ Or was it the other way around?

European cars also had both Pre and Post WW2 sizes and fine or coarse threads. But first we must go back to the "other" English cars, Many of these had grown our of Bicycle and Motor-cycle builders. They had an anomaly that some of you may have encountered without knowing. Cycle Engineers! This crops up in surprising places.  It is yet another thread often mistaken for BSF until you attempt to put a nut and bolt together. Many of the early British firms started out in the mid to late 1800's. There are any number of lessons for the owners of cars made by companies such as "Daimler" There is truly a bag of tricks awaiting the new commer to British Motor Cars! How many owners of these vehicles have a number of adjustable (Shifting) spanners tucked away in their tool box? Hence the number of "rounded" nuts that you can encounter when working on these cars.

HereI I will fall back to my earlier life, writing "nonsense" for a couple of "British" Motoring magazines, using the pen-name

"An Impecunious Enthusiast"

aka Old-car!

For those who do not know me,

Bernard (Bernie) Jacobson. a genuine 1936 model.

Born. bred and still living in Australia.

My much loved, much travelled, Lagonda Rapier is just two years older than I am, which explains how It has been able to teach me so much. It too has led at least three different lives but I will not go into that here.

827099588_7395F97D-97B3-4B5D-B18450.jpg.471be6f3a248f2295c1d37631858a999.jpg

Bernie Jacobson.

Edited by Rapier (see edit history)
  • Like 2