removing rear window from 1948 L.C Coupe

L.E.Butcher

You may be right! The trouble is the car does run but I cannot take it on the street.  I'll have to have the glass guy come out to my garage and remove it,$$$$$$$  .   No one said this hobby is CHEAP! I have been fooling with  LC's and Zephyrs since  Dec. 1965.   I guess if I wanted a cheap hobby I could collect match book covers!    Thanks for your reply, I will keep working on it ,CAREFULLY!

Here are the instructions on removing glass from a Ford or Mercury. They should work for your coupe. Go to page 9 of 9.

If the rubber seal is the least bit hard, it may crumble or tear when using this method. I would use the nylon pry bars like the ones sold by Eastwood. I would also use 3M Adhesive remover before I tried loosening the seal from the body. It will soften any adhesive applied previously.

Good luck.

You're gonna destroy the glass seal anyway getting it off, but you can get seals at some places like Steel Rubber and such.  The main goal is to preserve the glass as that is hard to replace.  A few years ago I was able to get new glass for some of my door windows on my '41 complete with the proper script label.  Expensive, but worth it.  But not sure about that rear glass.  If you can save it that's the best.  And the idea of softening the old sealing material is good.  After so many years usually the rubber will bind to the glass making it a challenge to get it off a little at a time to expose the glass and get it out of the old seal.  I've seen glass people use utility knives to loosen the edges around a glass and remove as much of the old seal as possible.  Take your time and good luck with it!

Another idea if you don't trust doing it yourself, I do see some of the merchants do go out to locations and replace windshields.  They might make a house call to yours if you ask them.  At least call a couple of them and ask if that's an option to at least remove the old glass without breaking it.