readjusting gear selector pointer.

seasand77

I have 1971 Delta 88 Royale. How do I adjust the gear selection pointer on the dash, so it again reads the correct gear? Can you discribe how to gain access to the things behind the dash? Why did they put fuse boxes in the most inaccessable places. They must have hired monkeys to install the things. I would like to reposition the fuse block in a better place. Any reader experiences?

Remove the cover plate under the steering column (4 screws). Then you can see the shift pointer attaching screw and the adjustment slot it moves in on the steering column. Put the selector lever in N or D, loosen the pointer screw, move the pointer in the slot to align with whichever position you're using as reference, then tighten the screw. Run shifter thru all ranges to check alignment and readjust if needed.

You have to remove the plastic lower dash panels to get at almost anything behind them. The LH is fairly simple, take the steering column cover plate off and then 4 or 5 screws on the panel itself if I remember right, but the RH can get involved as it goes from steering column to right door.

I had all that mess out of a 73 Delta ragtop I owned several years ago and seems like it consumed the better part of a morning. Same dash.

Can't help ya on the fuse block. Maybe taking the LH lower panel out will make it easier to get back there.