Tincher automobiles, any left?

Guest stude8

Guest stude8

Trying to learn if there are any known TINCHER automobiles in extistance.

I have an original print bought at auction showing a 1906 limousine with body built by Studebaker. Studebaker bought the Chicago builder in 1906 and they seemed to discontinue manufacturing not long after. See the photo at: http://www.aaca.org/photopost/showphoto....;amp;thecat=500

Thanks, Stude8

I don't know but, I looked it up in a book I have. Tincher was oringally Chicago Coach & Carriage Co., Chicago, Ill from 1903-1904. Then became Tincher Motor Car Co., South Bend, Ind. 1904-1908. Orginally powered by a 4cyl 20 or 45 hp engine. Twin chain drive. The rear brakes were operated by compressed air. Later they upped the hp to 50 or 80 hp. In 1906 the model "50" cost $5,000. Studebaker bought the company in 1907.

Wonder what my chances are of finding one for $5,000.

• 7 years later...

I work at a antique car restoration shop in oklahoma and we have a 1907 tincher 60 hrse in the shop

Right now it belongs to a gentlman in okc.

• 2 weeks later...

Really? Please have that gentleman authorize some pictures posted of my namesake car builder. My name is Tom Tincher and I am interested in any and all parts or pictures available other than the couple of advertisements from the period.

• 3 months later...
Guest BigKahuna
I work at a antique car restoration shop in oklahoma and we have a 1907 tincher 60 hrse in the shop

Right now it belongs to a gentlman in okc.

Hi kmagg - I'm a Tincher from CA, Tom Tincher was my great uncle. Is the car still in your shop? What level of restoration is it in? Can you take a picture of it and send it to me?

Guest Silverghost

Very early on Studebaker was a Sales agent for many early car makes & brands~

Studebaker was an old horse carriage & wagon builder/sales agent before the early auto era~

Early on they often placed the Studebaker name on a complete car, or car body that they did not really build !

They also bought-out many early struggling car builders, possibly for their ideas, & assets & their name was never heard uttered again !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Guest BigKahuna

You're right about Studebaker, from what I've been able to learn they bought out Tincher Motor Car Company in order to obtain Tincher's manufacturing facility. Studebaker was having trouble keeping up with demand and needed more capacity. Apparently they shut down the Tincher line and made Studebakers in the plant.